New face in the admissions office

Greg Lobe becomes newest associate director of admissions.

The east-side office, behind the front desk on the Pine & Octavia campus, has a new occupant. Greg Lobe, Stuart Hall’s newest associate director of admissions, has been in his position since the academic year began in August.

“It’s great he’s here,” Dean Reynolds Marquette said. “We all miss [Shuja] Kahn because we had a relationship with him and he did a great job, but Greg has some great ideas and fresh initiatives. He’s done a very good job with the admissions so far.”

Greg Lobe was born in Cleveland, Ohio and attended an all-boys Jesuit high school, before graduating from Miami University of Ohio as an international relations major. Lobe previously worked in the admissions office at The Orme School in Arizona, primarily handling international admissions.

“I was ready for a new challenge outside Arizona,” Lobe said. “San Francisco’s a very unique place as far as the climate, landscape and people go. I was attracted by Stuart Hall’s IB Programme and the sense of camaraderie and community at all-boys schools.”

Lobe is a big NBA fan, though being from Cleveland, he’s a Cavaliers fan and sees the Warriors as his nemesis. He also likes to fly drones for aerial photography and watch movies, but particularly likes to travel to new places. He spent a year and a half on an island off the coast of Brazil studying and learning Portuguese during college.

“I spend a lot of my free time traveling,” Lobe said. “My parents put an emphasis on stepping out of my comfort zone, and the one thing that’s always touched me the most is seeing different cultures.”

The associate director of admissions’ duties change throughout the year, according to Lobe. From August to December, he runs the shadow program for prospective students, helps to coordinate to open houses, and is the point of contact for any potential incoming transfers or freshmen.

“It was great to see that Mr. Lobe already had such a good relationship with the boys,” head of school Tony Farrell said. “It also helped that he’s a very seasoned international traveler, especially in Central and South America. It was the smaller interactions he had with the boys in line to get food or waiting for the bus that stood out to me and showed he’s already a strong part of the community.”