Students bond, learn in new country

Pandemic improvments allow for annual Costa Rica trip

By Bailey Parent and Vlad Korostyshevskiy

With increased vaccine prevalence, the annual Costa Rica trip was revived. Both the Juniors, who had the trip canceled for them last year due to CO VID 19, as well as the Sophomores were able to go this year, while maintaining proper protocols.

“The design of the trip, the generous amount of free time, and the settings—having the resort to ourselves—gave everyone an amazing opportunity to hang out, play, relax, and enjoy to the extent that fitted each and everyone best,”  trip chaperone Martin Jorgensen said

However, Students said they had some worries concerning the trip, including unease about COVID 19, as well as being exposed to new forms of nature such as insects. 

“I was worried about testing positive right before the trip, or even worse that the trip might not be able to happen at all,” junior Konrad Lauterbach said. Other worries students expressed were the mosquitoes and other bugs, according to junior Andrew Scott.

The journey was the first time out of the country for many students and offered them a variety of new experiences, such as horseback riding, cliff jumping, wildlife observing, and whitewater rafting.

“The whitewater rafting was a thrilling experience,”sophomore Xavier Callan said. “We rafted for around 2.5 hours while taking in the jungle views and going through the rapids.” 

In addition to enjoying the freshwater, Students spent time in  the Ocean as well. Optional surfing lessons were offered almost every afternoon after the day’s activities.

“Surfing was super fun and relaxing, especially late in the day during the sunset. The instructors were also super helpful and kind,” Junior Fynn Buesnel said. 

While some enjoyed the geographical treasures Costa Rica had to offer, many enjoyed the cultural aspects of the trip as well as students got to see what life was like in another country.

“The trip made me more conscious of the difference in lifestyles and cultures compared to what I’m used to back home,” sophomore Kyle Thaw said. 

Students said they had some worries concerning the trip, including unease about COVID 19, as well as being exposed to new forms of nature such as insects. 

Students say they bonded with each other via the day’s endeavors, the unique activities allowing people to connect over their common interests. 

“As sophomores, the trip was more focused on getting to know our class and bonding,” Callan said. “We spent our freshman year all on Zoom so this trip allowed us to make up for some of the time that we lost.”

Students and teachers say that the trip left them both pleased and fulfilled as students were able to attend a trip which is a hallmark to the Stuart Hall experience without any major mishaps taking place.  

“I’d been looking forward to this trip since applying to schools in eighth grade,” Scott said. “I’m really glad we were all finally able to go.”