Top 5 CRs to See in the Philippines

By Reagan Calaguas, Staff Reporter

Recently, seventeen students returned from the inaugural trip to the Philippines, allowing us to appreciate Filipino culture. One unforgettable way that I experienced their culture was through the comfort room (CR), the Filipino bathroom.

The CR in its most basic form was found on the boat we took on our final full day in the Philippines. After swimming with the whale sharks, the largest fish in the world, we took a boat from Oslob to the Bluewater Sumilon Resort, located on a small nearby island. This boat featured a red, white, and blue stall that included a toilet bowl, leading directly to the ocean, and a garbage can. As far as comfort rooms go, this one didn’t seem very comfortable but was still conveniently located at the back of the boat.

Blowing the boat CR out of the water is the one found in Sophie’s Farm in Samar. This was the most traditional Filipino CR. It featured a tabo, Tagalog for dipper, which serves as the traditional hygiene tool in the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. To cleanse oneself, one can simply fill up the tabo with water and pour. This CR was also characterized by its wet (but clean) floors and shower heads, which were conveniently placed next to the toilet. In this way, one could theoretically perform all bathroom functions simultaneously. The only downsides to this CR were the very short barriers between the stalls (we Filipinos aren’t usually vertically gifted) and the toilet paper rolls, which were always wet from the shower heads.

On our second night in Cebu, we dined in the 32 Italian Restaurant. By far, this was the most “American” CR I saw in the Philippines. It had flushing toilets, soap dispensers, and toilet paper. Besides all of that, it was just aesthetically pleasing with its dark marble walls and pleasant lighting.

The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial was a beautiful tribute to fallen American and Filipino soldiers. The cemetery is the final resting place for over seventeen thousand American and Filipino soldiers that gave their lives during World War II. The cemetery also had the runner up for the best CR in the Philippines. Located next to a small museum and visitor center, this CR was absolutely spotless. It combined the best of the American bathroom and Filipino CR, having bidets, toilet paper, and a hand dryer. No complaints here.

Taking the top spot is the CR found at the Quest Hotel in Cebu. After a long day of canyoneering, which featured multiple jumps off of waterfalls, ziplining, snorkeling, sunburns, and getting stung by a jellyfish (thank goodness for vinegar), this hotel buffet was a great way to round off a long day of activities. I was able to enjoy some halo-halo (Tagalog for “mix-mix”), a dessert that includes evaporated milk, shaved ice, mango or ube ice cream, and other toppings such as red beans or buko (coconut) jelly. Our group was also serenaded by a local singer named Asoy Vilan, who was able to get the Krejcareks dancing with his smooth saxophone skills and rich voice. What separated this CR from the others was the music, previously mentioned. Like the CR found at the cemetery, this one also featured a bidet, toilet paper, and a hand dryer.

The inaugural trip to the Philippines was a great way to experience the Philippines, especially through the CRs. These CRs are a lens, which one can peer through, to see Filipino culture in a unique way.