Golf Preview

Knights Golf 2015

Lori Saltveit

The golf team poses for a photo after the NCS win last year.

By Sam Cormier, Reporter

Last Spring, the Knights golf team captured their first NCS championship, upsetting golf powerhouses such as Branson in a tournament to remember.

This year, the team looks to defend its title and is poised to do so. Additions this year include sophomore Jordan Chin and freshman Gianluca Mori, nicknamed “the hype” by Taylor Angel. Along with the new members, senior Hayden Rodriguez, junior Daniel Connolly, and sophomores Robert Eklund, Michael Tellini, Christopher Potter, and Hunter Tatham will take the tee during the season.

As in years past, the team will practice at the Presidio, the home course of every school in the league apart from Marin Academy. Coach Orofino, an SHHS graduate from the class of 2005, let the team know “the bar is set high for this year” at an early season practice. This is his fifth year coaching the Knights since playing as a student. Team captain Hayden Rodriguez had a confident attitude for the 2015 season. “After winning last year we are all looking to improve as a team and move forward to do it again.” Reigning league MVP and co-captain Daniel Connolly is also excited.

Playing golf at Stuart Hall has allowed me to develop as a young man as well as a golfer. Playing on the team presents a great opportunity to compete alongside my fellow classmates and I can’t wait for this season.

— Daniel Connolly

His scoring average set a single season league record last spring as the lowest ever. The mindset of these leaders is representative of the aggregate as the team comes into this season with lofty expectations and ambitions.

However, the team has stopped reminiscing over their legendary season and has focused on capturing another title. Their first match took place February 23rd against Bay when the Knights buckled down and demolished the Breakers by 32 strokes, winning 160-192. Top scorers included Connolly, Tellini, Tatham, and Mori. The squad is set for one of its toughest stretches of the season when they play three matches in three days starting March 10th against University, followed by Marin Academy, and closing with the Bay Links Challenge. The team will continue to have league play matches and tournaments throughout the spring until April 23rd when they will compete in the League Championship.

While last season was the most successful ever for the golf program, the team is amped for 2015, hoping to make it even more memorable and close with a second straight NCS banner.