The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Sartaj Rajpal
Sartaj Rajpal
Senior Sartaj Rajpal is the editor-in-chief of The Roundtable. He has been with the publication
Owen Akel
Owen Akel
Editor-in-Chief, Web Editor
Owen Akel is the Editor-in-Chief and Web Editor for The Roundtable. Akel enjoys writing stories
Bailey Parent
Bailey Parent
Bailey Parent is a sophomore and a reporter for The Roundtable. When he’s not writing or busy with school, he is a boy scout
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

An Un-Titanic Clash

Clash of the TitansIf you’re the type of person who enjoys sharp visual effects and great action scenes, this movie is just right for you.  However, if you’re the person who enjoys an engaging plot and stunning 3-D graphics (like those in Avatar), then you might want to catch a different flick.  The movie revolves around Perseus, a demigod, the son of Zeus and Danaë.  Clash of the Titans begins with Perseus as a baby, who is found by a fisherman inside a coffin with his mother.  The fisherman decides to keep the infant and raise him as his own.  Many years later, while Perseus and his family are fishing, they witness soldiers destroying a statue of Zeus and declaring war on the gods. As a result, Hades springs from the underworld with his evil creatures, killing all the soldiers in addition to Perseus’ family.  Seeking revenge for the death of his family, Perseus enlists the help of daring warriors to stop Hades from unleashing his wrath upon the earth.

The movie progresses as Perseus and his fellow warriors fight multiple mythological creatures, including Medusa and the Kraken.  Most action and fighting scenes were very well portrayed and thorough.  As the movie reaches its climax, I was left with a sense of disappointment. I don’t want to reveal anything to you, but I will tell you that the scene was quite short and left me wanting more.

Another thing that left me down was the film’s 3-D effects.  You would think a movie like this would have good 3-D effects, right?  Well, you’re wrong.  It was a complete waste to spend an extra $5 on top of a regular ticket to watch it in 3-D.  There were barely any scenes that were in 3-D.  I didn’t find out until after watching movie that unlike Avatar, Clash of the Titans was not originally filmed in 3-D, meaning that the editors had to shoddily add the effects after filming was completed.

Overall, I think at best, the movie is mediocre.  There were great action scenes but the lack of plot plagued the film.  In a sense, Clash of the Titans was simple but enjoyable at the same time.  If you’re out and want to see a fun movie, go ahead and watch it, but if you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, I’d recommend you choose something else.

Photo: Joshua Wong