Community preps for Homecoming

Spirit days, dance, football game to take place this week

Nik Chupkin

Junior Owen O’Dell runs out with the football team during the Pep Rally on Sept. 13. The event started Spirit Week, which will feature two games, a dance and special dress days.

Convent & Stuart Hall’s annual Spirit Week culminates with the Homecoming Dance on Sept. 20 and a football game the following day.

“We’re preparing for our game against Upper Lake [High School], and I think we’re ready because our offense looks great and we know our plays,” junior Jake Falconer ’21 said. “We are really learning how to play with each other and want to make this year’s Homecoming a fun experience.”

Football players say this game has special significance because it’s the most heavily attended game of the year.
“We’ve been building up to this game since before school started,” junior Eamonn Kenny said. “This is is our chance to prove to the school and the community that we are representing our students in the best way possible.”

The Homecoming dance is the first semi-formal school dance of the year.

“This is the second get-together of the year after the carnival, and it provides another opportunity where the freshmen can really see what a Convent & Stuart Hall dance is like,” Vincent Behnke, Student Council Operations Officer, said. “The way we’re integrating it with Spirit Week really builds a sense of community with our different sports teams and grade levels, and it really shows how tightly knit we are as a school.”

Student Council members say they have changed aspects of Spirit Week to make it more interactive.

“This year we wanted to start o the Homecoming Week with a bang, so we decided to revamp the pep rally tradition,” Student Council President Maxi Tellini said. “We’re putting together a mixtape of fall sports highlights that we hope will really cultivate the type of hype and school spirit we are looking for.”

Team members say their bond is one of the most important parts of the game and is vital to being prepared to play.

“Our team chemistry needs to stay strong because in order for a team to maintain the mentality needed to play football, and we need to build the family aspect even more than we already have,” cornerback and tight end Vasco Travis said.

Players say they’re hoping for a large turnout at the Homecoming game.

“I want to see everyone from our school in the crowd at the football game,” Falconer said. “Seeing the whole school there energizes the team and helps us play at our highest level.”