The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin is editor-in-chief for The Roundtable as well as the publication’s resident designer.
The Roundtable's Staff Editorial Columnists are Senior Reporters Bailey Parent and Vlad Korostyshevski. While written by Parent

Julian is a reporter for the Roundtable, who enjoys writing about sports. Outside of school, he spends his time

The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

The Snowless Winter

by Colin Ryan ’12

We’ve been getting our share of chilly air here in the city, but the December and January dry spell hasn’t helped much in the Tahoe snow situation. The high temperatures in Squaw Valley were warmer than usual during the month of January — not exactly a good sign for a mountain where sustainable snow fell only once during the month. Squaw Valley, a mega-resort with deep pockets has kept the snow blowers going for all the suckers and bunny slopers. However, over 75 percent of the runs available at the major ski resorts are closed due to the lack of snow. The reason for the shortage of snow is due to a strong dry Eastern wind that has been moving across Northern California. This weather pattern has situated itself over California for the past couple of months, which in turn has caused a long dry spell in the Sierras.

The Sierra Nevadas: Grey, Brown and White | Photo by Colin Ryan '12

Two weekends ago the weather reports started to look better with predictions of  Tahoe snow. Mid month the high Sierras finally received a fair amount of snow. The storm dumped a total snowfall of 46 inches. Due to this recent snowfall, major resorts started to re-open more of their runs and are beginning to draw in more skiers and snowboarders to the slopes. There are big expectations for another storm to descend upon the Tahoe area but so far the predictions aren’t good for February.  Maybe it’s a year for hiking and not skiing?