The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin is editor-in-chief for The Roundtable as well as the publication’s resident designer.
Kavi Gandhi
Kavi Gandhi
Cartoonist
Kavi Gandhi is a cartoonist for The Roundtable and does some of the graphics for
Will Burns
Will Burns
Will Burns is a senior reporter for The Roundtable and has been part of the team since his freshman year. When he’s not writing,
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Welcome to Berlin

Article by: Peter Melling ’12

Thursday night’s opening performance of “Cabaret” at the Syufy Theater was one of the most impressive musicals we’ve been treated to by the Convent/Stuart Hall drama department. Based on Christopher Isherwood’s “Berlin Stories,” which were inspired by his three-year stay in Berlin in the early 1930s, is truly a musical for scholars. The stories were adapted for the stage as a play in 1951 and were then re-imagined as a musical in 1966 when it won the Tony Award for best musical of the year.

Peter Melling '12 gives his take on the SHHS/CHS performance of "Cabaret"

The musical unfolds as the Weimar Republic was in full swing and the Nazis were gaining strength within Germany. The story focuses on the relationship between Sally Bowles, a young nightclub performer, played by senior Lauren Arnold, and her friend and roommate, the American writer Clifford Bradshaw, played by senior Christian Gehrke. Much of the action takes place in the seedy Kit Kat Club, where Sally performs. The subplot of the romance between Fraulein Schneider (junior Maddie Kelley) and her Jewish suitor Herr Schultz (freshman Tannor Bragg) is a harbinger of the chilling turn of events that will change the world in a few years.

Most audience members are familiar with songs such as “Wilkommen,” “The Money Song,” and “Sitting Pretty,” which were strongly performed, but it is other numbers in this musical that reflect the darker side of the time. “Tomorrow Belongs to Me” is sung by the Hitler Youth and it is fascism at its scariest. In “If You Could See Her,” the symbolism is huge as a woman dressed as a gorilla (read Jew) is sung to by her boyfriend, who tries to convince the audience that if you could see her through his eyes, she isn’t “ugly”. This is powerful stuff for the genre that brought us “Bye, Bye Birdie” and “Anything Goes”.

All the actors, with the help of director Ms. Rickard, Billy Philadelphia, and choreographer Erin Hewitt, ably carried out the singing and dancing. Doug Greer (SHHS ’10, Vassar ’14) planned additional choreography. Musical regulars Steven Wooley and Marco Lancieri, both Stuart Hall seniors, gave nicely honed performances as Ernst Ludwig. The freshman class of Stuart Hall is filled with actors that made their debut in this important staple of the American musical theatre.