The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
The Roundtable's Staff Editorial Columnists are Senior Reporters Bailey Parent and Vlad Korostyshevski. While written by Parent
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
Robin Tsai
Robin Tsai
Cartoonist
Robin Tsai is the cartoonist for The Roundtable and a new member of the publication team this
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

He’s a Music Man

melling_musicman

The quintessential American musical, “The Music Man” debuts at the Syufy theater on Thursday, March 11 at 7:00 and runs through Saturday, March 13 at 2:00.  Rehearsals are in full swing for the production, which is directed by Ms. Rickard. While Mr. Philadelphia provides music direction, Ms. Pirkle heads choreography. The original Broadway production was spearheaded by Meredith Wilson in 1957, and received rave reviews and went on to become a popular movie.

“The Music Man” is the story of con man Professor Harold Hill played by versatile senior, Doug Greer, who “sells” musical instruments and band uniforms to the simple folk of a small-town in Middle America. He convinces them that he is organizing a band and after collecting their money, he skedaddles out of town with their cash. Enter Marian Paroo, the librarian, portrayed by Convent Sophomore Madeleine Kelly, who soon becomes the object of Professor Hill’s affection. The tale unfolds through vibrant music and song, which reflects the innocence of the story, set in Iowa in 1912.

When asked about the difficulties of tackling a role so familiar to American audiences and making it his own, Doug Greer said, “The main difficulty is making the role different, but good at the same time. I want it to be good, yet not be the same Harold Hill people have seen over and over again.”

Junior Steven Wooley sings and dances his way into the heart of the mayor’s daughter performed by Convent Junior, Lauren Arnold. Steven, who has been a member of the Coed Choir since his freshman year, was asked why the play still appealed to audiences after all these years. In reply, he stated, “Because the themes in the musical, like the con man and the small American town, last longer than the period.”

When the band strikes up the overture and the first whistle blows, you’ll know you are in for a vibrant evening of song and dance. Tickets are $5 at the door.