The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
Kavi Gandhi
Kavi Gandhi
Cartoonist
Kavi Gandhi is a cartoonist for The Roundtable and does some of the graphics for
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin
Nik Chupkin is editor-in-chief for The Roundtable as well as the publication’s resident designer.
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Wildcat Fever

by Connor Abbot ’14

John Wall. Demarcus Cousins. Eric Bledsoe. Rajon Rondo. Brandon Knight. These five NBA players dominate a young generation of future stars sure to make an impact on the NBA before their far away exit. Despite their different playing styles and teams, they all hail from the same university.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist uses Unrelenting Force on the court | Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images

The University of Kentucky has been known to be one of the elite schools for college basketball, with 7 national championships, 10 trips to the national championship, and 14 Final Four appearances. They have the second most national championships, the most NCAA tournament appearances (a feat they hold along with North Carolina), and have the most wins in all of NCAA basketball, with a combined record 2072-648

To a normal bystander of college basketball, this seems to be a quality reputation for a flourishing program that’s still growing. Although, by going deeper into these statistics, you slowly start to see how the Wildcats haven’t necessarily lived up to their legacy in recent years. If you look at national championship years, you see a gap of 14 years between now and their last national championship. To put this in perspective, other storied programs such as Duke and UNC (University of North Carolina) have each won two national championships in this time. Although in recent years they’ve gone far in the tournament, such as a Final Four appearance just last year, that overall goal of being NCAA champions has seemed to be unreachable for the Wildcats.

Well, not anymore.

Kentucky, who currently holds the #1 spot in all of NCAA basketball, has just come off a fantastic year and brings back much of the same talent that they left with. Despite the absence of guard Brandon Knight, sophomore Terrence Jones decided to stay for at least another year to play with the freshman talent flowing in to Lexington. Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Marquis Teague all dominate the current freshman class and are lighting up the scoreboards for Kentucky.

Kentucky’s freshmen lead the team in assists, points, and rebounds. Despite these many individual talents, the team’s success has come from their amazing team play. The Wildcats have only lost one game: a one-point buzzer-beating loss to Indiana, where the Hoosiers hit a clutch three in the final seconds to win. Despite this minor setback, Kentucky has also defeated (at the time) #3 Kansas and #4 UNC.

To many, the polls have no effect on college basketball’s outcome. And it’s justified; those who rank first in the polls have similar chances to anyone else in the Top 10. But with Kentucky’s recent attack on the basketball world, they’ve shown how they’ve been able to defeat anyone that they play, truly taking out all of their competition. If the Wildcats are able to keep it up, they should have no trouble winning a National Championship.