The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
Henry Murray
Henry Murray
Henry Murray is the sports editor for The Roundtable and has been writing for the publication

Julian is a reporter for the Roundtable, who enjoys writing about sports. Outside of school, he spends his time

The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Tech Time Out

Be social without social media
By: Jackson Rhodes ’16

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.20.53 PM

Technology has no doubt changed numerous lives for the better, but sometimes we need to take a break. Do you think you could go an hour every day without your electronics? Or even a day without them? In “Tech Time Out”, started by Foresters, that is exactly the challenge. There are hundreds of different challenges, whether it be the ice bucket challenge or cinnamon challenge, but Tech Time Out is an opportunity to really disconnect from our electronics. Not checking your Instagram or Facebook every second of the day might present an opportunity to communicate with others face to face more, rather than over the Internet. Although one might be hesitant to take the challenge, getting out of your comfort zone and accomplishing this goal could be a positive experience.

From the integration of iPads and computers in everyday class to mostly online assignments, technology is very prevalent in our school. Tech Time Out is a challenge to disconnect from your electronics for 72 hours, or three days. The challenge will take place from Thursday, February 12, through Saturday, February 14. On February 9 during our regular Monday assembly, students will learn how to opt into the tech challenge. On Thursday morning, if you pledge to take the challenge, you will be presented with an envelope to place your phone into. Howard Levin, the 4 School Technology Director, states that putting your phone in the envelope is “a physical representation of disconnecting.” The pledge to disconnect is on the honor system so the envelope will stay with the individual in the hopes that the participant will only open it on Saturday. It will still be easy to access computers and other devices, but the act of sealing your phone in an envelope represents your pledge to take the challenge. Mr. Levin’s hope is that this challenge will open people’s minds about our personal downtime and what we do with it: “We want the opportunity for students and adults to spark a personal practice of digital disconnection.”      The challenge is also an opportunity for PR coverage and to spark other schools to take the pledge as well. This past Thursday, January 29, Mr. Farrell included details about Tech Timeout in his regular Thursday Notes to parents. You can read more about the challenge here.
Although this challenge doesn’t seem like there could be a negative outcome, one possible problem Tech Time Out might pose is the communication with parents and loved ones. Before the age of cell phones and i-devices, there was no communicating with your parents through text. But now parents are just a text away. Because of this, communicating with parents might be hard. The best idea is to plan ahead and to let your parents know if they need to reach you, they can call Mr. Riley at the front desk. Regarding your friends and family, participants can post on social media that they are planning on taking this challenge.
Robbie Vanderlan is a Stuart Hall Junior and is part of the committee for Tech Timeout. He states that this disconnection will “give me a new perspective on how much we rely on social media”. Another participant, Philip Toulinov, is hesitant about taking the challenge but thinks the challenge “will have a positive impact on my life”.

The challenge will be made possible because teachers will not be assigning online homework or using electronics during class. For some, the most challenging part will come after school, but Daniel Connolly and Jimmy Mortensen are planning a basketball tournament and an array of food choices for Thursday after school. The hardest part of this challenge will undoubtedly be when a participant gets home, so get creative and invite your family and other friends to take the challenge with you.