Lacrosse Season Preview

Knights look to progress after a great first year

By Michael Tellini, Reporter

The lacrosse team looks to improve in its second year of existence this spring after losing in the league championship last year. During the 2014 season, the team went 5-2, captained by now senior Jimmy Mortenson. The first year team surprised many as they came together under head coach Hunter Williams who led them to a winning season. The team played opponents such as Bay, Drew, Sonoma Academy and Washington.

This coming season, the team has moved up a division and will play against even tougher competition as their opponents include University, Branson, Marin Academy, Urban and Lick along with a few games against opponents from last year. Goalie Evan Kim said, “We’ll definitely do our best with the numbers we have,” when asked about how this coming season could play out. The team has five new members this year, including four freshmen.

This being the second year since the lacrosse program was resurrected, it is remarkable the team is already playing against powerhouses such as University and MA. They will look to rebound from a tough loss to Bay in last year’s championships with their first game of the season against Sonoma Academy February 27th, followed by a game against Riordan. Junior Matthew Jung, better known as Matty Ice, made it known he is “really psyched for the first game,” referring to their matchup with Sonoma Academy. Despite the stiff competition, this year looks promising for the young team.