Summer changes come to fruition

The Hall finishes preparations for the first day of school

Owen Fahy

Renovations of the physics classroom on the Pine and Octavia campus continued into freshmen orientation on Monday and Tuesday. Workers were on a tight schedule to finish the renovations in time for the start of school today.

By Christopher Cohen, Editor

The Octavia Campus underwent a variety of renovations this summer from the classrooms, to the daily schedule, and the use of personal computers on campus.

Lab tables and furniture in science classrooms were completely replaced with movable lab stations that allow more options for mobility of seating and teaching.

“The new science labs are designed to have a more open and flexible design and be interdisciplinary,” biology and physiology teacher Brook Weirs said. “Students will be able to collaborate and work in groups. It should be a step forward for us and open up a new era of student science at Stuart Hall High School.”

A Bring Your Own Device program allows students to choose a computer they are comfortable using on a day-to-day basis.

“I really enjoy the new BYOD system, because it allows us to use our own selected equipment,” Jorim Powell ’18 said.

Desks in the math classrooms have been replaced with larger, sturdier desk allowing students to keep all of their supplies on desks.

“I’m very excited for the new furniture because we’ll have the same mobility as the previous chairs, but more desk space for students to work,” math teacher Lindsay MacGarva said. “It’s critical for students to have enough space to have their notebook and calculator on their desk. Last year they were not able to do that.”

The newly designed schedule has been revamped to allow for slightly longer class times, in part to accommodate the introduction of the International Baccalaureate Program, according to Dean Reynolds Marquette.

Block period rotation has also been changed, eliminating the same classes two days in a row. Assembly and lunch are now back to back periods on Monday, ColLab has been moved to Tuesday, and Chapel and lunch are back to back on Friday as well. Lunch periods have been reduced from an hour to 40 or 55 minutes, depending on the day.

“I think the new schedule is going to be an adjustment for all of us, but I think it’ll work out,” Tyler Makras ’18 said. “I believe the new schedule is more organized and will help me be better prepared for school.”

School days go in alphabetical order, starting with A or E period, depending on whether the day is Red or Blue, with the new schedule consistently alternating Red and Blue days.

“I’m excited to experience the new changes and believe they will help me and my peers succeed,” Angel Padilla ’18 said.