Frosh and JV win, Varsity postponed due to leak

A leak in the Dungeon’s roof may have stopped varsity basketball from playing as part of a scheduled tripleheader on Tuesday night, but it didn’t halt the frosh-soph and JV teams from emerging victorious in their games.

“The floor needs to be fixed,” frosh-soph center Jackson Daecher ’19 said. “The floor was  hard to play on, and people were falling all over the place.”

The freshmen began at 3:30 p.m., but were forced to stop for 20 minutes only a minute into the game as water was cleaned up from the gym floor. Both teams dealt with the poor conditions as Stuart Hall demolished Lick-Wilmerding 65-28.  

JV followed at 5 p.m., riding its starters on the way to a 47-35 victory.

“The conditions were rough,” JV forward Jay Henry-Ryan ’20 said. “Despite the conditions, we were able to battle and get the win.”

The varsity game was expected to be played in the same conditions, so both teams fully warmed up. The game began, but about a minute and a half into play the refs noticed an increasingly large puddle and decided to inspect the floor to see if the game was salvageable.

Leaks in the gym forced the game to be canceled,” Athletic Director Charley Johnson said. “Player safety must remain the number one priority at all times. It was a tough decision. Many people battled the elements to attend the game.

Referees called the game after several minutes of inspection.

“It’s really disappointing to not be able to play our first league game after all the preparation and game planning that our team has done,” varsity guard Tyler Makras ’18 said. “I was excited to have a chance to step up, and it’s very frustrating that it was taken away.”

The game will be rescheduled, although a date has not been set yet.

“I honestly felt very prepared to play in such a big game,” varsity guard Jorim Powell ’18 said. “I thought that if I were to be given any chance to show the coaches my abilities, it would have been tonight. I need to keep practicing and more doors will open up.”