The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Sartaj Rajpal
Sartaj Rajpal
Senior Sartaj Rajpal is the editor-in-chief of The Roundtable. He has been with the publication
Will Burns
Will Burns
Will Burns is a senior reporter for The Roundtable and has been part of the team since his freshman year. When he’s not writing,
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Gong Xi Fa Choi (Mandarin) & Gong Hei Fat Choi (Cantonese)!

Gong Xi Fa Choi, Gong Hei Fat Choi, or Happy Chinese New Years! It was the time when the red envelopes filled with money is given as a gift to others. Chinese New Year was celebrated on February 3rd 2011.  Receiving red envelopes is not the main purpose of Chinese New Years, but instead the purpose of this celebration is to get closer to the Asian community and to be thankful for everything. People follow many traditions in the celebration of Chinese New Years but every individual celebrated differently. There are a good amount of Asians in the Stuart Hall community that celebrates this special day. Each person’s way of celebrating it is different but they all conclude to one purpose, connecting with God and one’s family.

Joshua Wong ’11, a senior, celebrates Chinese New Years by performing the well-known lion dance (see him in the video above—he’s one of the tail end dancers in the back at the parade) or showing off his kung fu moves with his kung fu classmates to put on a show for others. He says, “I feel different today. I feel nervous but excited to perform for these people that will be watching me.” Joshua feels spiritually connected to his community on that special day because he gets to perform a traditional performance that is usually only done a couple of times throughout the year.

Baldwin Liu ’12, a junior, did not celebrate by performing what Joshua did but instead had a family connection. Baldwin says, “I love Chinese New Years! I get money from other people and get to eat a lot of food, but what makes me really happy is having my whole family and relatives, who I don’t see too often, come over to my house and spend a day together.” Baldwin celebrated it like most typical people would; having a family reunion to reconnect with one another. He felt especially connected with his family because on that day, everyone was happy and relaxed, and there was no negativity throughout the whole day.

I, Raymond Jiang ’12, a junior, had also celebrated Chinese New Years by being with my family but also going with my family to a Chinese temple to pray to Buddha for the new year beginning and to thank him for everything. I go to the Pao-Hoa Buddhist Temple in San Jose. In a Chinese temple, there is a main temple and there are many mini temples around it. The tradition that people do when at a temple is pray to different statues and to finally pray at the main temple. When praying, one holds incent and prays to Buddha about what one wishes for in the New Year. I feel specially connected to Chinese New Years because when I am praying to Buddha, I feel one with him and feel connected to the whole community.

Chinese New Year doesn’t have a specific day in the western calendar when celebrated every year because of the lunar calendar, so for every year, the date changes. As well as the date changing, the animal symbol is also changed every year. Last year it was the tiger and now this year it is the rabbit. There are twelve different animals that are alternated every year in a repeating cycle.