The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff

Julian is a reporter for the Roundtable, who enjoys writing about sports. Outside of school, he spends his time

Sartaj Rajpal
Sartaj Rajpal
Senior Sartaj Rajpal is the editor-in-chief of The Roundtable. He has been with the publication
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Nothing But Nets

Article by Lucas Chan ’14

Basketball is fun, but fundraising, not so much. When combined, you get a fun and exciting way to help raise money. Many pairs competed in this year’s Nothing But Nets tournament and showed great skill and talent, while having a great time doing so. Organized on a bright and sunny Saturday morning, there could only be one winner from this fierce competition.

The Nothing But Nets Team
The Nothing But Nets Team

In a nutshell, Nothing But Nets is an annual get together fundraiser for those who love playing basketball and playing in small competitions. The competition has become an annual tradition at Stuart Hall high School with a long list of champions. Though hosted by Stuart Hall, Convent girls are also invited to join and compete in the tournament. SHHS invites all to come and enjoy themselves, and many adults or relatives of SHHS students often join playing alongside and against students.

Many hours went into the planning of this year’s Nothing But Nets competition; mainly on part of Mr. O’Connor and Mr. Khan’s working and planning of the event. While organizing and working the event, Mr. Khan participated in the event and played ferociously with his partner Tal Quetone. Many others who competed include Robeil Andebrhan, Carter Chickering, Geoff Flynn, Izzy Borges, Matt McCrum, and many others.

The Nothing But Nets competition is not only affiliated with Stuart Hall, but with many other people and organizations, who all work to help raise money and bring attention to the tournament’s real goal, the fight against malaria. Malaria kills hundreds of thousands of people each year, and is usually spread by infected mosquitoes. The eradication of malaria has become one of the Millennium goals made by the United Nations during the turn of the 21st century. Malaria can be easily prevented by placing insect nets around beds to prevent infected mosquitoes from biting and infecting a sleeping person. These nets are generally cheap, resulting in millions of dollars having been funneled into various charities and organizations that provide nets to those in need. The United Nations have made great strides in the fight to eradicate malaria, but many in developing areas in Africa are still endangered by the disease and are in desperate need. The result of many small donations and fundraisers like Nothing But Nets makes it possible to further prevent the dangers of malaria.

The annual competition is a great way to represent Stuart Hall’s stewardship and willingness to help others, while having a great time. Many pairs participated and the competition narrowed. At the end, two pairs were left, Mr. Khan and Tal Quetone, and Joe Hurd and Geoff Flynn (originally Carter Chickering). After putting up a great fight, Joe and Geoff managed to become this year’s Stuart Hall’s Nothing But Nets champions all the while having a great time doing so. The players who participate in this year’s tournament were playing not just for themselves, but also for a great cause.