The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Sartaj Rajpal
Sartaj Rajpal
Senior Sartaj Rajpal is the editor-in-chief of The Roundtable. He has been with the publication

Julian is a reporter for the Roundtable, who enjoys writing about sports. Outside of school, he spends his time

Anshsingh Ghayalod is sophomore and reporter for The Roundtable. He joined the team earlier this
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Oscar Predictions

By Colin Ryan and Sebastian Sandoval ’12

the round table reporters Colin Ryan and Sebastian Sandoval duke it out on their Academy Award predictions and opinions. The following article provides a small window into why the following films and actors might win, in the eyes of Colin and Sebastian.

Staff Editors Colin Ryan and Sebastian Sandoval prepare to duke it out for movie supremacy | Photo by Taro Duncan '14

Best Picture

Colin: My prediction is The Artist is a 2011 French comedydrama film directed by Michel Hazanavicius, starring Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo. The story takes place in Hollywood between 1927 and 1932 and focuses on a declining film star and a rising actress, as silent cinema falls out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies. Most of the film itself is silent; it is shown in black-and-white, which is dope.

Sebastian: Seriously dude.  That’s not a good choice.  I think Moneyball is better. It defined a generation. It’s rollercoaster ride of family fun tied in with action and drama. The depiction of the baseball industry was marvelous, phenomenal. There were a few tear jerking moments when the A’s won.

Best Actor

Sebastian: I think Brad Pitt was the best actor of the year. His role in the film, Moneyball defined a generation of young athletes striving to make it into the big leagues.

Colin: Not at all dude. George Clooney gives the performance of his life as a man in search of a moral compass on a Hawaii that is no paradise in the film The Descendants.

Best Actress

Colin: Michelle Williams is totally going to win best actress. She gives an inspirational performance portraying the life of Marilyn Monroe. She delivers an elegant, neurotic and intoxicating performance that steals much of the spotlight in the film My Week with Marilyn.

Sebastian: I have to agree. Michelle Williams is a dime. Enough said man. Viola Davis is not cool, Meryl Streep is old, Glenn Close may be a man, and Rooney Mara is missing some eyebrows.

Visual Effects

Sebastian: I have to go with Transformers. While the writing was far from decent the effects are pretty extraordinary and seeing the scene of Chicago completely destroyed was breathtaking and looked realistic.

Colin: You are completely out of your element dude. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was the dopest thing I have ever scene. The visual effects were out of this world and ahead of its times. They used real people to play the roles of the monkeys.