The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
Anshsingh Ghayalod is sophomore and reporter for The Roundtable. He joined the team earlier this
Robin Tsai
Robin Tsai
Cartoonist
Robin Tsai is the cartoonist for The Roundtable and a new member of the publication team this
Cole Charas
Cole Charas
Cole is the Editor-in-Chief of The Roundtable. He is an infographic designer, editor, and in charge of the layout. He began drawing
The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Values Day

SHHS visits Ai Weiwei exhibition at Alcatraz
By: Nick Hom ’18

Photo Credit: Lori Saltveit
Photo Credit: Lori Saltveit

On January 9th, our school took a trip to Alcatraz for Values Day to see the works of Ai Weiwei, a Chinese artist and activist. Alcatraz Island is the home of his out-of-the-box designs that were made specifically for this exhibit. Ai Weiwei’s art expresses his interests in public rights and the freedom of expression which stems from his blogs on the website Sina Weibo, the Twitter of China. When he began to show his involvement in exposing the number of students killed in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, the government started to keep a closer eye on him. In 2011, Ai was arrested at the Beijing International Airport for charges that were later revealed to be “tax evasion,” but it is speculated that the Chinese government had deeper intentions. Because of this and other crimes, the Chinese government is convinced he has committed, Ai is unable to leave the country. His art is a large part of his expression of freedom. When talking about the exhibit, Ai said, “Freedom, indeed, is a word that carries a great deal of weight for the Chinese people.” The people of Beijing and all around China know him for his love for the country and his mission to make it a place for the people.
The @Large exhibition is divided into seven different exhibits. After being split into “pods” of seven students, the school spread out in order to explore the island and find meaning in its art. Each exhibit touched on aspects of human rights and freedom; With Wind showed a traditional Chinese kite including quotes about independence, Trace portrayed activists’ faces through Legos, Refraction is a giant metal wing made from reflective panels, Stay Tuned told us autonomous speeches and songs, Illumination chanted us Tibetan healing songs, Blossom offered comfort to those imprisoned through porcelain flowers, and Yours Truly connected us with prisoners through hand-written letters. The message of Ai Weiwei infused with the prison theme brought everybody to recognize his ironic style. The day carried a lot of meaning with it because it made us realize the value of freedom and not take it for granted. Ai Weiwei’s message was seen in all of his works and showed truly the essence of Values Day.