The student-run publication of Stuart Hall High School

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

The Roundtable

Meet the Staff
The Roundtable's Staff Editorial Columnists are Senior Reporters Bailey Parent and Vlad Korostyshevski. While written by Parent
Sartaj Rajpal
Sartaj Rajpal
Senior Sartaj Rajpal is the editor-in-chief of The Roundtable. He has been with the publication

Julian is a reporter for the Roundtable, who enjoys writing about sports. Outside of school, he spends his time

The Crisis in San Francisco
The Crisis in San Francisco
By Ethan Yap, Reporter • April 11, 2024

Homelessness is a rampant problem in San Francisco. San Francisco now has a reputation of being a dirty city that is filled with homeless people. According...

Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
Chinese Immersion Trip to Chengdu
By Christopher Chow, Reporter • April 9, 2024

On November 19th, ten Convent & Stuart Hall students studying Mandarin embarked on an unforgettable journey to Chengdu, China, opening their minds...

Berlin and Copenhagen urban exploration
By Giuseppe Scala and Ronan LiaoDecember 29, 2023

At the beginning of August this summer, 19 Convent and Stuart Hall seniors embarked on a journey to Copenhagen and Berlin. This school-facilitated...

Keeping up with CAS
By Ayden Arcillas, Chief of Staff • December 29, 2023

For many seniors this year, their projects are already on the move! Specifically for one stu- dent, Sebastian Horton-Vega (‘24), his project, “DiveIn”,...

Welcome Freshmen
By Sabastian Horten-Vega, Editor • December 29, 2023

As we begin the new school year, I’ve decided to reflect on the years prior, hopefully giving insight to the Freshmen that have just started high school....

Top Amusement Parks

By Robeil Andebrahn ’13

Amusement parks are a big attraction to many tourists and also to the people who live in those cities during summer vacation.  There are many amusement parks in California but only the best get the most people to visit.  Three of the ten are California’s Great America, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and Six Flags Magic Mountain.  I have personally been to California’s Great America and Six Flags Magic Mountain.  I have yet to experience the vast one hundred thirty-five acres of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Entrance to California's Great America | Great America

Let’s start with Magic Mountain.  SFMM has been known as the “Rambo of Amusement Parks” and the “Xtreme Park“, due to its large collection of white-knuckle coasters. In 2001, SFMM took the world record of the most coasters in any one park, although there is much debate as to whether Superman The Escape is a roller coaster or not.  In 2007 they removed two roller coasters, so this resulted in the loss of the record. The park is also home to Hurricane Harbor Water Park, which has a separate admission charge, but there are no shortages of water rides within the park itself. SFMM has one of the best selections of water rides in a park, including two flume rides.

California’s Great America is a great theme park, but recently has been dying down in the past years.  The park is quite large and is easy to navigate, as it is flat. The park is not very well themed but is reasonably landscaped. It has a good variety of coasters but the park is seriously lacking in a good wooden roller coaster. Great America has a good selection of kids’ rides, but the water and flat rides are standard.  Nothing in the park with the exception of Top Gun and Drop Zone stood out as exceptional, but it should be noted that nothing stood out as bad either.  Baldwin Liu ’12 is quoted saying that his favorite ride is: “I like Top Gun, now called Flight Deck.”

Last but not least is Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.  Discovery Kingdom distinguishes itself from all other parks in the fact that it has a full complement of land/aquatic animal shows along with a robust ride lineup.  Mrs. Saltveit regaled me with an amusing story from her time at Discovery kingdom: “I went on the water ride where you get into a raft with three other people.  I was laughing at my friends because they were the only ones getting wet.  Near the end of the ride there are people who wait on the sidelines spraying rafters as they float by. Of course I was the one who got totally soaked.” The coaster lineup is anchored by a unique shuttle launch, but the rest of the coasters, while fun, are not one-of-a-kind. Although there is an adequate selection of flat rides, many of them have height requirements that are restrictive to families with smaller kids.  It has been a long transition to convert this former marine park into a true amusement park, but the goal has been finally achieved.

Have fun if you visit one of these parks this summer !